Meaning of Marie:
The name Maria is French or Latin, meaning “beloved” or “bitter.” Different variations depend on cultures and regional interpretations.
Origin and History of Marie:
Marie is of French origin and is the French form of the name Maria. Maria, in turn, is the Latin form of the Greek name Mariam or Miriam.
This name has strong biblical roots and is associated with Mary, the mother of Jesus. Mary/Marie is a highly revered figure in Christianity, making the name widely used among Christians.
Popularity of Marie:
According to the United States Social Security Administration, Marie is the 115th most popular name in the United States. An estimated 533,143 have this name, and there are 167.2 people with this name for every 100,000 Americans.
This name has been one of the most enduringly popular names throughout history. It has been consistently used in various forms and variations across different cultures.
Famous People Named Marie:
- Marie Curie (Maria Skłodowska Curie): Marie Curie was a pioneering physicist and chemist, known for her groundbreaking research on radioactivity. She was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize and remains an iconic figure in science.
- Marie Antoinette (Maria Antonia Josepha Johanna): Marie Antoinette was the Queen of France during the late 18th century. Her life and reign were marked by historical and political upheavals, and she became a symbol of the French Revolution.
- Marie Osmond (Olive Marie Osmond): Marie Osmond is an American singer, actress, and television personality. She gained fame as a member of the Osmond family and has had a successful career in entertainment.
- Marie Curie-Skłodowska (Maria Skłodowska-Curie): Marie Curie, also known by her maiden name Maria Skłodowska-Curie, was a Polish-born physicist and chemist. She was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize and remains one of the most renowned scientists in history.
- Marie Stopes (Marie Charlotte Carmichael Stopes): Marie Stopes was a British scientist, author, and campaigner for women’s rights and birth control. She was a pioneer in the field of family planning.
- Marie Windsor (Emily Marie Bertelsen): Marie Windsor was an American actress known for her roles in film and television during the mid-20th century. She appeared in numerous noir films.
- Marie Tharp (Marie Tharp): Marie Tharp was an American geologist and oceanographic cartographer who played a crucial role in creating the first comprehensive map of the ocean floor.
Nicknames for Marie:
Some common nicknames for Maria include: